With 42 days left of our two year stay in sunny Texas I can't help but look back on our time here and have bittersweet feelings. As missionary interns training for cross cultural church planting, the experiences we had were incredible, and we won't be leaving Texas the same as we came. I think of the friends we have made in Mexico. Our first trip with broken Spanish, a friend and fellow intern explaining he loves to fish but instead saying he loves to sin (pecado/pescado). I think of the many memories we made with the other interns, the example of Christ they have been to my husband and me. Memories of tarantulas sneaking up on us as we hung out on the patio with friends who are now on the other side of the world, oh, and the blow dart guns. I think about hot wings, ranch dressing, fish tacos and tortillas made by the best pair of cooks I've ever met. I think of walks around the block exchanging stalker stories (Will you keep it forever?). I think of the friends we have made at our home away from home church, Divine Providence. I think of our daughter Gracie in my belly jumping and kicking me when she heard pastor Andy preaching with authority, boldness and volume. I think of the children in sunday school, their smiles and complete abandon when they sang, "Praise The Lord! Praise The Lord! Praise the Lord, Oh my Soul!".
Texas is a beautiful place to live, but it isn't the place that has our hearts, it is the people. When I say I'm going to miss Texas, I mean I'm going to miss "y'all"... and those that have already moved on from here, I'm missing you already. A missionary training center is so filled with transition; interns moving in, graduating missionaries moving on and all the traveling in between. I feel like we are either in the air, in a car, planning for a trip or unpacking from one constantly. It's been hard to feel established.
That thought brings me to a challenge, this week the ladies at the training center were especially privileged to hear from missionary wives around the world, Ruth Gibson's words from Oaxaca Mexico struck hard. She said "Sink your roots down." The context was a challenge to not be afraid to flourish where you are planted, whether you are there a month, a year or a lifetime, sink your roots down and become a part of that place. Embrace the culture, learn the language, love the people. When I think of her life poured out here in the valley and the lasting impact of a ministry with roots in the ground wherever she goes, I don't want to do ministry any other way.
There are pains in having established roots in a place, when it is time to move on, it hurts to be separated. But I think the pain and regret of not having ever put roots down is far worse. I am so thankful for the privilege to have been here these past two years and to glean from friends I might never see again until heaven. That is the most bittersweet I think, friendships that won't end but are going to be changed by distances measured in countries, oceans and timezones. It's going to be hard to move on from this place, but I'm so blessed for the time I was enriched to live here, thank you friends, for putting your roots down.



No comments:
Post a Comment