On baby K's due date, August 2nd, at 8:30 am labor began. Matt and I spent most of the day trying to figure out if this was the real deal. We took many walks around the neighborhood as we timed my contractions. Matt kept our Doula Kim Wheaton up to date on my progress. By the time the sun was set there was no doubt I was in some stage of real labor but we couldn't figure out which. After we read to my belly "On The Night You Were Born" and I bawled my eyes out in excitement of meeting this new little person we decided to try to sleep. However, my contractions were 3-5 minutes apart... sleep didn't happen. Matt helped me find a way to semi-nap while draped over our yoga balance ball. Then things picked up.
![]() |
| Matt minutes before meeting his daughter |
At the hospital I scribbled my name on some forms and was quickly given a room. I was at 5 cm. Labor progressed quickly from there and about 4 hours and some projectile vomit later I was at 9 and a 1/2 centimeters. And 9 and a 1/2 was where I stayed, for three wonderful hours. Kim and Matt were incredible throughout this process but I especially needed them during those three hours as the urge to push was THERE but I wasn't fully dilated and my water had only partially broken. My doctor ended up breaking my water and 45 minutes later we met the answer to so many prayers! Anna Grace, (we call her Gracie), was born at 9:55 am on August 3rd measuring 7 pounds 4 ounces, 20 and a half inches long.
![]() |
| In the midst of transition at the hospital, Matt sat by my side encouraging me the whole time. I love my husband. |
Matt and I are so thankful to God for this precious gift of life. During the labor process I knew it was only because of God strengthening me that I was able to get through! Having Kim Wheaton (watch Kim Wheaton-birth doula, visit Kim's blog) as my birth coach was a huge answer to prayer, she helped me not only emotionally and physically through the birth, but also spiritually. The last three weeks of learning to be a mom have been so joyful and sanctifying. I have a new appreciation for mothers, my own mother especially. I love looking at all the pictures of Gracie with her grandparents! We recently moved back down to Texas after an amazing summer in IL. We have been so cared for by our friends and family this summer from a place to stay to a carload of baby gear! Thank you, thank you, thank you! It was a blessing to spend those first weeks of Gracie's life with the people we love in the midwest! Thank you to everyone who has been praying for our family! You are all a blessing to us and we are so thankful for you!
![]() |
| And then there were three, Gracie you are so loved. Photos courtesy Kim Wheaton |



1 comment:
Such a beautiful story. May the Lord be honored through this little one's life. We love you!
Post a Comment