banner

Sep 13, 2012

Mexico Report


Praise God for orchestrating the events of the past few days spent in Mexico. Matt and I are now both safely back in Texas. While away, our team’s biggest prayer request was for doors to be opened to stay for the night on future trips. We were planning on camping in tents this time, as was done on previous trips through To Every Tribe. Matt and I are in awe of the Lord’s working as ALL of us were invited into homes before the sun set on our first day there. We actually even had more homes open to us than we had people to house!

To paint you a picture of what Z looks like think of an IL cornfield, extend it further than the eye can see and take away the trees. In the middle add a mile block of gravel roads, 35 tiny one-story houses, and about 800 chickens. Some of the homes were smaller and had less structural integrity than shacks I’ve seen in U.S. backyards for storing gardening supplies. One such home belongs to a single mom who graciously hosted two of the women in our group. As we sat in her living room to chat one afternoon I was keenly aware of the details of the construction as the wind moved powerfully, rattling the tin thatched roof and shaking the plywood walls. 

The home Matt and I stayed in was more like a home you could find in the U.S. and belonged to a couple that owns and operates much of the farmland and whom both profess Christ. They were extremely hospitable to us. They gave us our own room and bed to sleep in and a fan to keep us cool during the hot and humid night. In the morning the women of the house prepared us a meal of papas y huevos, frijoles, salsa y tortillas. (Potatoes and eggs, beans, salsa and tortillas). We did not lack food during the trip, the families were extremely generous in feeding us, some of our group even found themselves eating multiple dinners due to the abounding hospitality.

Matt was invited to join the head of the household, I will call him N, as he drove around to surrounding farm areas to pick up his workers. N seemed to take a liking to Matt, even though communication was rough (limited Spanish vocabulary). Being so disbursed amongst the village, many times I was left to interpret and communicate using only what I knew, it was extremely surprising and encouraging to see the Spanish I had taken in High School coming back to me and proving useful!  

As this trip served primarily to build relationships with the locals, the Lord completely blew us away expectation wise and blessed us with abundantly more than we even thought to ask. The team dynamic was beautiful, no one shied away from the tasks at hand. The Lord is doing a great work in the hearts of the locals in Z and we are excited to make our next trip in October. Sorry for the lack of photos, we did not take photos during the trip of the houses or families, as we did not want to compromise forming relationships and building trust by doing so too early. We are excited to share with you in more detail via e-mail in the future. Thank you to all who have been praying during our time! 

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I love Mexico so much! On a mission trip in high school God allowed me to see 2 people trust Christ. I was blown away how he used my 1 year of Spanish at the time to communicate with the women!