banner

May 30, 2012

Selfless Help, The Gospel


Hiking in ElDorado Hills, CA (January 2012)
Ever hear the phrase; “Leave room for the Holy Spirit!”? I picture two students dancing to a slow song and here comes the chaperone laying down the law better than a Pharisee. The phrase makes me laugh. I laugh at the extremeness of it. But there is a bit of truth in there too. We don’t want to stifle the working of the Holy Spirit in our hearts. The Holy Spirit is grieved when we act out in lust, envy, anger, bitterness, rage (among other things).

Today, while reading Ephesians 4, I was completely broken by my heart of self-reliance during this transition. I have been stifling the Spirit. We are moving, we are changing our vocation, we are perfecting our budget, we are raising support, we are scheduling Dr. appointments, we are negotiating claims for our car that was rear-ended. I try and try and try, and work and work and work. But do I always try with the understanding that the result of my effort is not up to me? Am I working for God and not for man? The quick, honest and painful answer is no. I ask, did Jesus die on the cross for a reason? Yes, Jesus died for this very sin of self-reliance I'm swimming in now, along with all the rest, past, present and future. By God's grace, in repentance I desire to give all of these efforts over to Him. 
Paul's prompts in his letter to the Philippians, “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Being in communion with God through prayer is so healing! I need to remember this!
Friends “I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.” Thank you for your friendship, your prayers and your partnership in the gospel. The Lord is not finished working on us yet! We have a God who brings things to completion! Lets rejoice in Him and His promise! -Ashley 

P.S. We are so blessed for all of the prayer that has been poured out for us! We feel the effects of it, thank you. Contact us at ashleyklock@gmail.com or mattklock@gmail.com

No comments: