banner

Apr 27, 2011

Assessing Our Self Control- Titus 2

"Dear friends, I urge you, as aliens and strangers in the world, to abstain from sinful desires, which war against your soul." 1 Peter 2:11


In our woman's study at Harvest Bible Chapel we are going over biblical principles of womanhood and focusing on the attributes described in Titus 2. The series we are using is available online here, it is an audio series taught by Carolyn Mahaney. This last weeks topic was Self Control. I found these practical self assessment questions extremely convicting leading me to repentance in a lot of areas in my life I never really thought critically about!
*Note that the gospel is a gospel of grace and not of works. It is because of His grace, and by the power of the Holy Spirit that we can cultivate self control.



Self Assessment Questions
  • Do I eat/not eat to the glory of God? (1 Cor. 10:31)
  • Do I eat with thanksgiving? (1 Tim. 4:3-5)
  • If I am angry, stressed, worried etc., do I turn to food or do I turn to God? (1 Cor. 6:12)
  • How am I using my evening hours?
  • Does it hinder my going to bed and rising up to best carry out my God given tasks? (i.e. spiritual disciplines, care for my husband and children, care of the household, care for those in my sphere of influence) (Proverbs 31:15-18)
  • How do I think about my husband (children, family, co-workers etc.)?
  • Are they good thoughts? (Phil 4:8)
  • What is my though process through difficult (family/work/church) situations?
  • Are these thoughts pleasing to the Lord? (Psalm 19:14)
  • What emotions am I experiencing presently? (Psalm 37:4, Phil 4:4)
  • Are they angry, anxious, bitter...?

No comments: